[Txabs] NFB Community Service Division membership conference call

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Wed Mar 16 19:35:12 UTC 2016

Howdy Texas!
I encourage you all to please read National Federation of the Blind
Community Service Division President Darian smith's message below
about how we all can get involved in community service. Whether you
are a seasoned veteran of volunteering, those who have some experience
or those who have never volunteered before. This is an excellent
opportunity to learn about the true benefits of what community service
is and how we can contribute. Let us all come together in finding the
true value of community service and showing our sighted peers that we
can equally provide community service instead of being the ones who
receive it.

As the Texas Community Service Committee begins to grow, I encourage
those who want to be involved to participate if able on this call and
bring back to Texas your ideas, energy and enthusiasm to help the
committee grow!

Let's get involved!

Jonathan Franks
Board Member
National Federation of the Blind of Texas

Please see Darian Smith's message below:

 Fellow Federationists,

As blind people we are often kept from full participation in society
despite  the great deal we have to offer  as members of it.

 Many of us know that community service  is a way to give of those
things we have to offer, and that through community service our
sighted peers may come to understand what we know to be the truth
about blindness.

 But Why do we get involved?  Do we serve because we want to?Why
should we get involved? Is it for the benefit of others?

 The National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division is
really excited to Discuss this interesting topic, and hope you’ll join
us.

 What? Community Service: Exploring why we serve

When? Sunday, March 20, 8p.m. ET

How? Call: (712)432-0140. Access code: 808277.

 Looking forward to talking with you then!

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people  and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.