[Vabs] Where Does VABS Go From Here?

Jessica Kostiw jessicac.kostiw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 03:20:12 UTC 2008

Dear Patrick and all others who were not able to make it to this years
Virginia state convention,
On the student front, you certainly missed a great convention!

Before I give my little recap, let me take a moment to explain my role.  For
anyone who doesn't know me, my name is Jessica Kostiw and I am the former
President of the Louisiana Association of Blind Students.  I am originally
from Fairfax county, and after living in Louisiana for five and a half
years, I moved back to this area in August.  With Corbb in Ireland, Dr.
Schroeder asked me to facilitate much of the student activities for
convention.  Lead by Tracy Soferanko, Virginia paralleled many of the
student activities while much of general session was occurring.  Virginia
wasted no time.  Friday there was a yoga class held for those interested.
Friday night, a teen hospitality room was provided, with pizza and all.
Students from VSBD sold brownies to raise money for their junior chapter at
the school.  The next day, students were pulled from part of the morning
session for a cane walk and a discussion on self advocacy in transitioning to
college.  During lunch I lead a meeting, where the students got to hear from
many exciting speakers.  During this lunch was when elections would have
occurred, but instead I lead a discussion on where Virginia will go from
here.  Those present heard from other former officers from other state
student divisions detailing what other states have done in the past and what
Virginia could do in the future.
The bottom line- The issues that Virginia faces are common struggles faced by a number of other state student divisions.  (I.E. transportation for having meetings in a state that is so spread out.)  I don't think I need to recount all of the issues Virginia currently faces; we all know what they are.

I said this at the meeting and I will say it here.  Corbb O'Connor is a motivated, energetic, smart President, he cannot carry this division on his own,though !  No, division can be lead by just one person, no matter how good of a leader he or she is.  In order for Virginia to reach the potential that I and others are confident it can, this affiliate needs YOU!!

Virginia has a lot of excellent resources at our finger tips.  Unlike some states our state president recognizes the benefits of having a strong student division, and is therefore ready and willing to provide both financial and directive assistance.  Along with Dr. Schroeder, Virginia is bursting with leadership.  Jennifer Kennedy, the former president of the Ohio student division and the NABS board member assigned to assist this region, has recently moved to Richmond.  Other officers from strong divisions are scattered throughout the state; Wisconsin, Louisiana, Texas, California, and Illinois are the ones that come to mind.  We are just a stones throw from Maryland which could provide infinitely more leadership and ideas.

At convention I personally spotted many who I know have great ability to lead.  As students of Virginia, ask your self why you are a federationist?  What issues as students do you wish Virginia would address?  Think of the support fellow students in Virginia could provide!  Let's not let one great convention be just that, a great convention.  Make it the beginning of a strong division that other states will want to emulate in the future!

Throughout convention, Brittany Savage and myself sold fifty-fifty raffle tickets, with the proceeds going strictly to the students.  This was an off the cuff fund raiser that I put together the night before.  We made $30, which is certainly a start.

Students were again pulled from general session, this time for a chance to ask both Dr. and Mrs. Mourer what ever burning question they may choose.  Students were later split into small groups to explore social scenarios and perform skits acting out what they would do in one of the situations .

Sunday morning, Greg Mophet spoke to the students detailing his experience at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  This lead into a Q and A. about training centers.  Along with my self (representing LCB), Colorado and Richmond were also represented.  Next, followed a discussion of blind people and sports.  What can the blind do to stay fit and have fun?  How can certain sports be adapted?  The weekend of student activities ended with a climax when students from Stanton explained and demonstrated Goal ball.

It was a great convention, with a pretty nice turn out.  I hope everyone learned a lot.

Jessica C. Kostiw

P.S. Any new students that were there and joined this list since?