[VABS] August 3, 2017 VABS Conference Call Notes

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 10:51:37 UTC 2017

VABS

Below are the notes from the conference call.

Conference began at 8:05pm.

There were 11 students in total on the call.

1.	Treasurer's Report: Andrea Perry reported that after fundraising at
the National Convention in July and the disbursements of door prizes from
the ice breakers, our treasury has a balance of $1019.00. This amount is a
milestone because the goal set at last year's state convention was to raise
at least $1000.00.
2.	Intern Presentation: the VABS interns present, Michael Munn and Naim
Abu El-Hawa introduced their new positions and the duties assigned to them.
3.	State Board Meeting: Michael Munn, as the newly appointed
communications intern, will present the VABS report for the NFB of Virginia
on Saturday, August 5. There will also be an announcement for a transition
program for Northern Virginia and Fairfax County students.
4.	Movies and Mingle Event: The movies and mingle event is scheduled
for Saturday, August 26, 2017. The deadline for registering for this event
is Saturday, August 5, 2017. All VABS members that register will be covered
for their cost of the movie ticket.
5.	Meet the Blind Month: VABS decided that the student meet the blind
month activity will be on Saturday, October 7, 2017 in Virginia Beach at the
Bowling Alley that the Chesapeake Bay chapter has a connection with. This
alley is willing to charge $10 for students to play three games and their
shoe rental is included in that quote. Some students raise the argument that
they don't want to travel that far, but this is what VABS is about and the
event will happen there. Any students from Richmond or points north will
have to understand that our events will be all over the state and if there
is a problem with transportation please feel free to contact someone on the
executive board to discuss a way to make this happen for them. There will be
an official announcement about the event once we secure the spot for that
date. This is an open event so friends and family are welcomed to attend.
6.	State Convention: the state convention is from November 3-5 in Falls
Church, VA. We have programming on all three days including a social on
Friday evening, our business meeting on Saturday afternoon along with a
self-defense course, and the youth track on Sunday.

Please feel free to send me a message if there are any questions about what
we talked about on Thursday.

Best

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass