[VABS] VABS Movie and Mingle Recap: What Was Missed

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 16:26:59 UTC 2017

Hello VABS

So yesterday was the first VABS social event, Movie and Mingle. This event,
aimed at allowing students to meet that may have never crossed paths or
spoken before, was the beginning of more events like it. Students met at the
United Artist West Tower Regal Cinemas in the West End of Richmond and saw
Anna Bell: The Creation, a horror film. Aside from understanding how to work
the descriptive audio devices, and Robert screaming like a girl, the movie
portion of this event was almost seamless. After the movie, the gang piled
into an Uber and went 11 blocks east to have lunch at TGI Friday's, where
the camaraderie and fellowship ensued while endless appetizers were
devoured. There were a few high points that came out of this event:

1.	We have a new student member, LaTeia Randolph. She is a student from
Williamsburg that attends Reynolds Community College in Richmond. I am
adding her to the list as I write this.
2.	  We have learned that Regal cinemas have the most abundant amount
of descriptive audio devices in Richmond. Unlike other theaters, the one we
attended can serve up to 15 blind individuals that require them in one
sitting.
3.	TGI Friday's has the best cheesecake ever. Ok, maybe that one was a
personal highlight.

I would like to thank the students that registered, attended and mingled. I
especially want to thank the students that came from Northern Virginia to
attend this event. I hope that their attendance sends a message to the whole
group that distance is not the easy way out of attending an event that VABS
throws. Don't let your fear of travel or finance stop you from having a good
time, because when it is time to face the real world and you are invited
places that won't always be3 attractive to a friend, coworker, or
supervisor. Stay tuned for more emails about upcoming VABS events.

Thanks

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass