[VABS] nova

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 2 19:07:10 UTC 2017

Hi,
For those wondering, Nova is the northern Virginia community college.
It has six campuses which is why I asked listers which campus they were at.

Yes we may not always get equal access. We should fight for it, but
meanwhile reading and assignments need to be done.
So, that is why I suggest finding
readers; you can post flyers for them on bulletin boards; get your parents
or someone to help with that. You can also use an OCR program on your pc
such as openbook or  app on your phone to scan stuff.
The disability office is getting better with the new accessibility
coordinator, but they have a ways to go.

My advice is this. First, be an advocate; explain your accomodations to
professors; send them emails before class about you or at least meet them
after the first class.
Buy your books ahead of time at the bookstore and keep receits in case you
need proof of purchase for procuring electronic texts through the school.
Second, for any student this will apply. Time management and good study
habits are key. Study everyday and prioritize assignments. If you have a
study guide for a midterm or final that is generally helpful. Use that as
you review and look at your notes. If you came to class all the time and
participated, professors are more willing to help you. Go to office hours to
seek clarification on things you need to learn before an exam.
Finally, school is important but don't forget your health and to have some
fun. As a serious student, I never had a good balance of school and social
activities. Get enough sleep. Eat healthy food.
Take advantage of your school's clubs and activities.
At northern virginia community college, something is going on all the time.
They have a Muslim student club; they have clubs for special interests. They
have the green club for environmentalists. There is also the international
club. They also show movies often and have a mystery bus trip once a month.

HTH,
Ashley