[VABS] Nova

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 3 19:44:49 UTC 2017

My message last went to Mark only.

I wanted to write to the list; here it is.

Hi Mark,

You were lucky you had classmates to share with. I did not find that at Nova
since people just came to campus when they were in class.

Listers, if you can study with  classmates or borrow their book to scan and give it back next class, this  is a good idea to cut down on costs.
I also recommend selling your books back to the bookstore when semester ends.
Not all books are sellable though and in that case, you might sell it to someone needing it the next semester.

I'm glad to hear you know braille even though you have residual vision.
I know braille but I  also learned print first as a kid and my teachers were
smart in their decision to then teach me braille when my eyes easiely
fatigued.
Many kids should know braille who do not though.

How do you use the surface pro notebook with jaws? Did you hook a keyboard
to it and use  standard jaws commands like insert up arrow? That, or did you
learn touch screen gestures? How light is that notebook? I've considered the
surface pro or a new hp laptop - tablet combo.

You say Nova Manassas does not have updated jaws?
Is this your main concern concerning jaws?
I heard differently. Which jaws is there? Also, what other technology is at
that campus, if any?
I share your sentaments that the school should have embossers for us to use
and the duxbury software for translating text to braille.

At Nova Annandale, they have jaws in the library and open computer lab on
one pc. They also have a scanner with kurzweil at the library.
I thought they updated jaws last semester. I suggest you contact the new
acting accessibility coordinator, Tim Ferebee, to ask about the software.
It was Stephanie, but Tim took over her duties when she left.
I know annandale Nova updated to jaws 18. I've been informed jaws 19 will
also be coming this year on time. Once jaws is released, they will purchase
it and upgrade it on all campuses.

Mark, you are fortunate to have two computers. I could use my savings too
and buy a new laptop. Now mine is an old heavy one running windows 7.
However, not all students can bring their own accomodations to campus if
they don't have them.
Not everyone can afford all the tech they need tobe equal.

So, its real important for Nova to  provide updated software such as jaws.
After all, Nova provides computers with internet access to its students for
a reason. They know its needed to do school work and that not everyone has
reliable internet access at home. So, they provide free of charge access to
computers. For a small fee, they also provide access to printers, scanners,
and copiers. Blind students need the same access.

I'm glad you are doing well in school and brought your own computer. I've
also made my own accomodations sometimes. But Nova needs to provide more
access because not everyone can bring their own equipment or have the
resources to find help such as human readers.

Also, you said you are interested in studying elementary education. George
Mason university does not offer this.
They do offer spanish though which you wish to minor in.

How do you get to the campuses? Transit further down in Virginia is not as
good. Can you get a bus to woodbridge?

Long winded. But I thought some listers may be interested in what you might
say.

Thanks.

Ashley