[VABS] What Did You Miss on the Conference Call

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 19:00:58 UTC 2017

Greetings Vabsters

I know that you are all wondering what went on last night at the conference
call. Luckily enough, I will be able to fill you in on the key points of the
call so that you can stay in the know.

Meeting Began at 7:05pm

Students Present: Robert Parsons, Kim Valko, Andrea Perry, Kinston Walker,
Marc Canamaso, Michael Munn, Garrett Kearns, Michael Osment

Treasurer's Report: As of June 1, 2017, the treasury has $903.

Old Business: The Successful Student Summer Seminar was an enjoyable event.
There were 10 students from Virginia that attended and 48 students overall.
The weekend was filled with informative panel discussions, a grilling
activity, games and ice breakers, and a dance party.

*Each student division member that attended gave their thoughts of what they
took away from the seminar. *

New Business:

1.	NABS and National Convention: Michael Osment, secretary of the
National Association of Blind Students, called in to inform our division of
everything that NABS will be doing at convention. This included a hydration
station at the health fair, a table at the NFB Olympics, a STEM (Science
Technology Engineering, and Math) fair, a Walk-A-Thon, the NABS social, a
luau, and the NABS Board Meeting and elections. These dates and times can be
found in the official agenda which is now live on the NFB website. Visit
www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org>  for more information.
2.	Fundraising: Robert Parsons informed the division of the many ways
our division can get involved in fundraising. First, NABS has a table at the
exhibit hall. There will be a silent auction on a pair of tickets to Sea
World, a NABS care package (complete with water bottle, coffee mix, snacks,
and drink mix pack), a NABS cookbook, and a commemorative 50th Anniversary
book. This is NABS 50th anniversary, so the book and ceramic bowls that are
being sold at the table are souvenir items. Secondly, our own Virginia
affiliate will have a table at the exhibit hall. We will be selling the
infamous Virginia peanuts and earbuds. There is also help needed at the
Independence Market table, which will be selling NFB canes, money readers,
and other valuable items. For more information on how to volunteer to work
at these tables, please contact me at rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
<mailto:rob.parso3389 at gmail.com> .
3.	VABS Win for a Week at Convention: The Virginia Association of Blind
Students will be fundraising in the halls and meeting rooms at the National
Convention with our first ever "Win for a Week" opportunity. For the whole
week of convention, VABS board members Robert Parsons, Kinston Walker, and
Andrea Perry will be holding a 50/50 raffle for a cash prize, the winner
will be revealed at 11pm each night. Don't miss the chance to participate
each night to leave with extra money in your pocket. The prices are $5 per
ticket or $10 for 3 tickets.
4.	VABS Inclusion Program: To groom students for high school and
affiliate leadership, the Virginia association of Blind Students will begin
the inclusion of 7th and 8th grade students into our events, conference
calls, and meetings. On the heels of a wonderful session at the Jernigan
Institute, the divisions of Maryland, North Carolina, New York, and
Pennsylvania all are allowing this and the current board members of these
associations have begun their time in the student division in middle school.
This early intervention has afforded them the chance to grow with the
Federation and become effective leaders in their respective divisions and
affiliates alike.

Meeting Adjourned at 8:11pm

Best Regards

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass