[VABS] A Round of Applause for urn Scholarship Finalists

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:37:33 UTC 2017

Good Morning

I hope that all of you are excited for convention. I remember my first
convention in 2014. It was in Hampton and I was so scared and did not know
what to think. It was the first time I had ever won an NFBV State
Scholarship and I was new to the Federation. I can honestly say that I did
not know what to expect. However, many fellow students, chapter members, and
state affiliate leaders were so helpful and committed to making sure my
experience as a scholarship finalist was a memorable one.

It is for that very reason that I write this email. Looking back at the
confidence, commitment, and pride that I have cultivated with the help of
this affiliate through the scholarship program, I implore all of you to take
that same energy and apply it to some familiar voices and faces, for we have
some homegrown scholarship finalists that I am so proud of. I have the
unique experience of serving as a chapter and division President and, all 5
of these students have been a part of both my chapter and VABS. I have
witnessed the growth in leadership, philosophical fortitude, and
professionalism that warrants each of them to not only be in the running for
this award, but to win it as well. I really do wish our scholarship program
could honor more than three students per year, because we have an excellent
group before us. I would like for you all to take the time to recognize and
send some well wishes to:

1.	Andrea Perry- VABS Treasurer, Richmond Chapter, Fredericksburg
Chapter
2.	Naim Abu El-Hawa- VABS Fundraising Chair, Richmond Chapter, Fairfax
Chapter, Potomac Chapter
3.	Marc Canamaso- VABS Member, Richmond Chapter, Prince William
Chapter*
4.	Oscar Montiel- VABS Member, Richmond Chapter, Prince William
Chapter*
5.	Emmanuel Finnell- VABS Nominating Committee Chair, Richmond Chapter

**- Both Marc and Oscar are the individuals behind resurrecting and
reinstituting the dormant Prince William Chapter, which will be up for
reinstatement at convention.

Please give them all some love and respect for the hard work they have put
into the affiliate in the past year and the work they do in their individual
colleges/universities. I could not see VABS being as active as we are
without them. I also would like to recognize VABS newest member, Christopher
Nusbaum, for his selection as a scholarship finalist. Chris is the President
of the Maryland Association of Blind Students and currently attends
Lynchburg College. It is always welcoming to have some variety in this type
of setting. I wish all the finalists the best of luck and hope that everyone
reading this buys their banquet ticket and supports our students.

Best Regards

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 801 7674

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass