[VABS] VABS Conference Call: What Did You Miss?

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 19:27:39 UTC 2017

Greetings VABS

Here is an update about what was missed for the students that did not call
in for the VABS September Conference Call. We had an exciting and very
engaged call that touched on a variety of different issues. I will fill you
in on the most important ones:

1.	Our next VABS event is Saturday, October 7, 2017. This is the "Bowl
with the Blind" event that commemorates and kicks off the National
Federation of the Blind of Virginia's weekend events in October for National
Meet the Blind Month. The event will take place in Virginia Beach, VA and
the full address is at the bottom of this message.
2.	For our "Bowl with the Blind" activity, we will have a raffle for a
chance to win an Amazon Tap, complete with Bluetooth and Alexa. This Amazon
Tap is a battery-capable version of the Amazon Echo. The price of tickets is
$5 each and we will pull the winning ticket at the end of the event. All
members of the Alexandria, Fairfax, Potomac, and Richmond chapters will have
a chance to buy tickets for this raffle at their respective chapter meetings
in September. This affords members the opportunity to buy a ticket if they
do not plan to attend the event for some reason.
3.	It is time to begin preparing for the National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia's 59th State Convention. The convention is from Friday,
November 3 until Sunday, November 5. The convention will take place in
Falls, Church, VA at the Westin Tysons Corner.  VABS will have programming
all three days of this event.
4.	The official VABS fundraising item at convention will be customized
NFBV bracelets. These bracelets are brailed with the quotes "NFBV17" or
"VABS17." They will be sold for a price of $5 each. Unlike last year or the
years before, VABS will not have a table at exhibit hall. These items will
be sold in the halls by members at convention. I will start a forum in the
future to see who will assist Naim and Marc on the fundraising efforts.
5.	Our programming on Friday will consist of the VABS Membership
Social, complete with a dace-themed party atmosphere and official membership
registrations. Keep in mind, dues to join VABS are $5 per year and there
will be ice breakers and games. This event will run from 8pm-10pm. On
Saturday, November 4, our annual business meeting and luncheon will begin at
12pm. Remember, all students that are attending will pay $7 for the pizza
lunch we are providing. if you do not want pizza, you are welcomed to
purchase a boxed lunch that the affiliate is selling. Also, your dues that
are paid on Friday gives you the right and opportunity to vote and run in
our elections which will be at the end of the business meeting.  On Saturday
at 1:30, we will have a series of 30-minute breakout sessions, including
panel discussion and open forums. We will have national and state guest's
speakers and you will be enlightened with knowledge that will be at our
disposal. Finally, on Sunday, November 5, VABS and the Virginia Association
of Parents of Blind Children will present the 2017 Youth Track. This year's
Youth Track will be a self-defense class for members of both divisions. Mr.
Wilson Olivera and students from the Full Circle Integrated Martial Arts
School will be joining us for some lessons in practical self-defense. This
session will run from 9:30AM-11:30AM.

That is all we have spoken about at this conference call and I hope that
this information assists in keeping you updated. Stay tuned for more VABS
updates and have a great weekend.

VABS Bowl with the Blind Location

Pin Boys at the Beach

1577 Laskin Rd.

Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Sincerely

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 801 7674

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass