[VABS] FW: 2018 McDonald Fellowships and Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship to National Convention

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:42:01 UTC 2018

2018 McDonald Fellowships and Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship to National
Convention

The 2018 NFB National Convention is an experience you do not want to miss.

Many of those who have attended our national NFB  conventions are amazed at
how meeting and interacting with over 3000  other blind and low vision
convention attendees has positively changed their  lives. They not only
learn how the problems of vision loss can be overcome, but also experience
the confidence that comes with solutions.

Robert and Marian McDonald selflessly contributed to our Virginia affiliate
to further the progress and better the lives of those who are blind,
visually impaired, and low vision in Virginia. In their honor, we recognize
the personal benefits that come to people who attend a national convention
for the first time. In their memory, the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia (NFBV) continues their legacy of education and empowerment to
Virginia's blind citizens.

We anticipate awarding fellowships to assist each recipient with costs of
attending our 2018 NFB National Convention to be held in Orlando, FL, from
July 3- July 8. Please note: The banquet ends late in the evening of
Saturday, July 8 and fellowship winners are expected to attend the banquet
so return travel must occur on Sunday, July 9 or later. This event will take
place at the Rosen Shingle Creek  Hotel in Orlando Florida.

The  McDonald Fellowship program was established in 1998 to assist those who
have never attended a convention of the National Federation of  the Blind
(NFB) or those who have not attended in years and wish to come to a
convention this year.

Federationists are welcome and encouraged to apply for both the Virginia
specific McDonald Fellowship and a National Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship.

We will link each of our Fellowship winners with mentors who will assist
them in getting the most out of their national convention experience.
McDonald Fellowship winners are expected to attend the entire NFB convention
and share their experiences by addressing our 2018 NFB of Virginia state
convention.

Deadline for applications for the McDonald Fellowship is Sunday, April 15,
2018.  Winners will be announced May 15, 2018.

Your application should be in the form of a letter delivered via electronic
mail.  There is no specific form for the application.  Applicants should
write a brief letter outlining reasons why they should be considered for a
Fellowship and the letter must include:

A)      Name, Address, phone and email contact information

B)      Chapter or other connection  With the affiliate

C)      How you will benefit from the experience

D)     How you have participated with your chapter or the

         affiliate in the past year

E)      Any other pertinent details

In addition, you are required to contact your Chapter President or an
affiliate Board Member for a letter of recommendation. Letters of
recommendation are due by Sunday, April 15, 2018.

Applications or questions about the Fellowship program should be sent to
Mary Durbin, Chairman, McDonald Fellowship Committee, email at Mary Durbin
(mrdurbin at cox.net <mailto:mrdurbin at cox.net> ) or by phone at 757-472-2495.

Our committee wants to help you make 2018 the year you attend our national
convention.  The convention will be even better because you were there.

The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund

by Allen Harris

Allen Harris is the chairman of the Kenneth Jernigan Fund Committee and was
one of the people who came up with the idea of honoring our former president
and longtime leader by establishing a program to promote attendance at the
national convention, where so much inspiration and learning occur. Here is
Allen's announcement about the 2018 Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund Program:

Have you always wanted to attend an NFB annual convention but have not done
so because of the lack of funds? The Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship
Fund invites you to make an application for a scholarship grant. Perhaps
this July you too can be in the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in Orlando,
Florida, enjoying the many pleasures and learning opportunities at the
largest and most important yearly convention of blind people in the world.

The three biggest ticket items you need to cover when attending an NFB
national convention are the roundtrip transportation, the hotel room for a
week, and the food (which tends to be higher priced than at home). We
attempt to award additional funds to families, but, whether a family or an
individual is granted a scholarship, this fund can only help; it won't pay
all the costs. Last year most of the sixty grants were in the range of $400
to $500 per individual.

We recommend that you find an NFB member as your personal convention
mentor,(Virginia will assign one to the Virginia winners) someone who has
been to many national conventions and is able to share money-saving tips
with you and tips on navigating the extensive agenda in the big hotel. Your
mentor will help you get the most out of the amazing experience that is
convention week.

Who is eligible?

Active NFB members, blind or sighted, who have not yet attended an NFB
national convention because of lack of funding are eligible to apply.

How do I apply for funding assistance?

1. You write a letter giving your contact information, and your local NFB
information, your specific amount requested, and then explain why this is a
good investment for the NFB. The points to cover are listed below.

2. You contact your state president in person or by phone to request his or
her help in obtaining funding. Be sure to tell the president when to expect
your request letter by email, and mention the deadline.

3. You (or a friend) send your letter by email to your state president. He
or she must add a president's recommendation and then email both letters
directly to the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship Fund Committee. Your
president must forward the two letters no later than April 15.

Your letter to Chairperson Allen Harris must cover these points:

*	Your full name, and all your telephone numbers and label them-cell
phone, home, office, other person (if any).
*	Your mailing address and, if you have one, your email address.
*	Your state affiliate and state president; your chapter and chapter
president, if you attend a chapter.
*	Your personal convention mentor, and provide that person's phone
number.
*	Your specific request:

Explain how much money you need from this fund to make this trip possible
for you. We suggest you consult with other members to make a rough budget
for yourself.

The body of your letter should answer these questions:

How do you currently participate in the Federation? Why do you want to
attend a national convention? What would you receive; what can you share or
give? You can include in your letter to the committee any special
circumstances you hope they will take into consideration.

When will I be notified that I am a winner?

If you are chosen to receive this scholarship, you will receive a letter
with convention details that should answer most of your questions. The
committee makes every effort to notify scholarship winners by May 15, but
you must do several things before that to be prepared to attend if you are
chosen.

1. Make your own hotel reservation. If something prevents you from
attending, you can cancel the reservation. (Yes, you may arrange for
roommates of your own to reduce the cost.)

2. Register online for the entire convention, including the banquet, by May
31.

3. Find someone in your chapter or affiliate who has been to many
conventions and can answer your questions as a friend and advisor.

4. If you do not hear from the committee by May 15, then you did not win a
grant this year.

How will I receive my convention scholarship?

At convention you will be given a debit card or credit card loaded with the
amount of your award. The times and locations to pick up your card will be
listed in the letter we sent you. The committee is not able to provide funds
before the convention, so work with your chapter and state affiliate to
assist you by obtaining an agreement to advance funds if you win a
scholarship and to pay your treasury back after you receive your debit or
credit card.

What if I have more questions? For additional information email the
chairman, Allen Harris, at <kjscholarships at nfb.org
<mailto:kjscholarships at nfb.org> > or call his Baltimore, Maryland, office at
(410) 659-9314, extension 2415.

Above all, please use this opportunity to attend your first convention on
the national level and join several thousand active Federationists in the
most important meeting of the blind in the world. We hope to see you in
Orlando.

Mary Durbin

McDonald Fellowship Chair

Mary Durbin