[VABS] Urgent Request - Email Your State Senator this weekend- Hold to the Compromise on HB 2296 Bank Web Site Accessibility

André Hill andrehill6188 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 13:18:17 UTC 2019

Members of VABS,

Please read the following letter from President Sofoenko and let's start
typing those letter of support.

Hi Virginia Federationists,

Our advocacy efforts are paying off but we need some additional effort.

We need your help with a few emails on Saturday or Sunday asking Senators to
stick to a compromise on HB 2296.

A sample email is provided below.  Please use the sample, make it specific
to you, and send it to your Senator and perhaps a few other Senators this
weekend.

Background:

When HB2296  was in the House of Delegates, the entire disability community
opposed this legislation which weakened protections that guarantee bank
website accessibility.

On Tuesday, February 5, the Virginia House of Delegates passed HB2296 which
significantly weakens protections to ensure banking web sites are
accessible.

Based on our efforts to communicate our concerns, on Wednesday (2/13)  the
Senate Courts of Justice Committee re-wrote HB 2296 and made it acceptable.
The new Senate bill simply states that a  web site that conforms to the
WC3AG Web Accessibility Standards will be deemed accessible. While not
great, we do not oppose this legislation. we can support the compromise
which passed the committee on Wednesday.

The Senate bill is still called HB 2296 which I will admit is somewhat
confusing.

The full Senate will vote on HB 2296 on Monday at Noon. We expect that the
banking lobby will convince a Senator to propose an amendment to
re-introduce many of the troublesome provisions of the original House bill.

Our request of each of you:

We need you to email your Senator by Sunday evening.

Ideally, also email 2-3 other Senators.

I have attached a list of the names of each Senator and their email address.

We are convinced that email is better for this request but it needs to
happen this weekend.

Please email your Senator to let them know that you want
them to support this Senate compromise but need the Senate to hold to the
compromise. Tell them to oppose the bill if additional language is added
that is harmful to the disability community.

It is vital to email this weekend.  We believe this bill will be voted on in
the Senate on Monday afternoon.

contact your Senator to let her or him know your feelings on this bill.  In
your email or phone call let the Senator know that you are a constituent and
provide your address.

If you are not aware of the name of your Senator, Here is an accessible
website where you are able to easily obtain the name by simply typing your
address.

https://www.richmondsunlight.com/yourlegislatures

Either click on this URL or copy it into your web browser.

If you are willing, send separate individual emails to other members of the
Senate.

We are grateful for your efforts and need you to take action this weekend to
address this legislation before the Monday Senate vote. Yes, the Virginia
Senate works on Presidents Day.

Here is some good language you may wish to use.  I suggest some slight word
changes so we do not all sound the same.  Note that you can send the same
language to each contacted member, as they will not share emails.  Below is
the language. Please remember to include your name and address.

Sample email:

Subject: Hold to the Compromise on HB 2296

Dear Senator:

The disability community has strongly and uniformly opposed HB 2296.  The
Senate substitute compromise, containing accessibility standards only, is
an acceptable compromise.  We oppose any attempts to reinstate other
portions of the House bill.

Sincerely,
(Type your name)

If you have any questions please reach out to President Tracy Soforenko at
tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

André E. Hill

-Student
French Language & Culture Major
Batten College of Arts & Letters
Old Dominion University

-Chair, Legislative Committee
Virginia Association of Blind Students

-Student Member
Electronic Information & Technology Advisory Board
Tidewater Community College

-Member- Planning Activities Committee & Alumni Advisory Council
Maryland Youth Leadership Forum

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm
going is what inspires me to travel it.”-Rosalía de Castro