[Vendorsmi] The Fiscal Cliff for Blind Vendors

Terry Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 14:19:22 UTC 2012

Below is a thoughtful and informative blog posting and call-to-action from
our national division president Nicky Gacos

The national association website is http://www.blindmerchants.org/

Facing the Fiscal Cliff - How it affects the blind and the Randolph-Sheppard
program

12/18/12 at 04:30 PMby Nicky Gacos

We've all heard the back and forth. We've heard the partisanship. But, many
in the

National Association of Blind Merchants (NABM) have to wonder what does all
of this

talk of tax reform and spending cuts mean to us? For one thing, we are
business owners.

We will face the challenge that all mom-and-pop business operators will
face. For

the most part at this time, that means uncertainty. We also work with a
number of

corporations. We are fortunate to have some wonderful suppliers, equipment
manufacturers,

consultants and sponsors. Of course they will be affected one way or
another. Again,

uncertainty. Beyond Randolph-Sheppard, we are blind folks. Collectively we
know thousands

of blind individuals who are not entrepreneurs or vendors licensed under
Randolph-Sheppard.

Federal spending cutbacks might dramatically impact special education,
vocational

rehabilitation and employment programs. Without high quality education and
rehabilitation,

we will not lower the rate of unemployment. Moreover, from where will blind
vendors

come without the benefit of quality training in the skills and positive
philosophy

necessary to be a success in Randolph-Sheppard? There's nothing wrong with
enlightened

self-interest. That has been one of the guiding principles of my presidency.
Enlightened

self-interest. To me, that means "when I do good, I will do well." When we
advocate

for ourselves, others benefit. I urge my colleagues to be attentive,
educated and

advocate. Below, please read an announcement that came from our national
office in

Baltimore. It is food for thought and it is a call for action.

"There has been a lot of discussion about the upcoming fiscal cliff, a term
describing

tax increases and spending cuts set to go into effect on January 1, 2013.
Both Republicans

and Democrats are expressing grave concerns about the effects going over
that cliff

will have on our economy and have spent the last few weeks trying to reach a
debt

reduction agreement.  As they work on coming to a compromise regarding
spending cuts,

it is important for the blind to understand the gravity of the proposed cuts
and

the consequences those cuts will have on programs fundamental to disabled
Americans.

If we go over the fiscal cliff, approximately $200 billion in federal
spending cuts

will go into effect.  Included in these cuts are substantial reductions to
education,

vocational rehabilitation, and other disability service programs.  The
effects these

cuts will have on disabled Americans will be dramatic.  These programs
provide special

education, job training assistance, and support services to a population
with an

unemployment rate over 70 percent.  Blind people want to be independent,
productive

members of society and these programs are most critical when the financial
stability

of the country is dependent on Americans getting back to work.  Underfunding
education

and vocational rehabilitation will have the unintended consequence of
forcing more

and more disabled Americans onto the rolls of Social Security Disability
Insurance

and Supplemental Security Income, prohibiting them from reaching their full
potential

and putting the burden of their security on taxpayers.

Politicians have warned some budget cuts are expected and necessary, and
that entitlement

programs are the center of the debate.  One side of this debate is pushing
for a

complete overhaul or elimination of these programs and the other side is
refusing

to touch the programs at all.  The NFB needs to be the voice of reason in
the debate

and advocate for a thorough, comprehensive reform that will allow these
programs

to better produce the desired outcome of blind Americans living in the
community

and paying taxes, rather than receiving long-term assistance. This reform
might require

cuts, but we are confident that widespread, default cuts without any
targeted solutions

will weaken the already-struggling programs and further under serve a
disadvantaged

population.

Members of Congress must compromise fast and reach a debt reduction
agreement so

we do not go over the fiscal cliff and face these impending cuts.  Tell them
how

important education and vocational rehabilitation are to your independence
and financial

security.  Democrats and Republicans will understand how essential it is
that blind

people reach their full employment potential and may be open to a dialogue
about

more comprehensive reform solutions if we urge them.  Federationists should
ensure

the voice of the nation's blind is heard during this critical time.  To find
your

representative's contact information, go to

www.house.gov

,

www.senate.gov

, or call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 225-3121.  For more information,
contact

Lauren McLarney at the National Federation of the Blind, (410) 659-9314
extension

2207."

About the Author

Nicky Gacos

Nicky Gacos is the President of the National Association of Blind Merchants.