[Vendorsmi] Fw: SOS Snack bar

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 14:22:32 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: Garnet
To: Joe Sontag
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2013 22:37
Subject: Fwd: SOS Snack bar

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

  From: "Zanger, Connie (LARA)" <zangerc at michigan.gov>
  Date: July 11, 2013, 4:12:29 PM EDT
  To: "Garsvend (garsvend at aol.com)" <garsvend at aol.com>
  Subject: FW: SOS Snack bar

  Good morning, Garnet;

  The E O C chair forwarded to me yesterday morning your message regarding the S O S snack bar.  I am aware that Ms. Pelmear was a student at the Training Center.  Due to client confidentiality, I am not aware of her course of study or training goal at the Center nor am I aware of her progress.  I do know, however, that all the adult students left the Training Center in mid-June to make way for high school students coming to the Center for the College Assessment Program.  It is interesting to note that when Ms. Pelmear was contacted by James Hull regarding the S O S, she was out of the state.

  The following process outlines the steps taken in selecting the temporary operator at the S OS, as described to you yesterday by James Hull:

  The S O S licensee was suspended on June 25, 2013.  At the time the ending inventory was completed, the determination was made to re-open the facility under a temporary operator.  This determination was made as the Bureau had already received phone contact regarding the scheduling of the expedited suspension hearing as required by law.  The Administrative Hearing in this matter is to take place on July 29, 2013.

  Based on the circumstances on June 25, 2013, a temporary could not be installed before July 1, 2013.  None of the potential operators in the Lansing area had previously expressed an interest in temping a B E P facility in the past.  This fact must be considered in conjunction with the fact that:

  <!--[if !supportLists]-->1.    <!--[endif]-->Mr. Anderson could be returned to the S O S facility as early as August 6, 2013; or

  <!--[if !supportLists]-->2.    <!--[endif]-->the S O S facility could be on the bid line as soon as August 6, 2013.

  Consequently, the Bureau did not contact potential operators outside of the Lansing area.  It is easy to see the timeline outlined above prohibits a potential operator from outside the Lansing area from temporarily moving into the area.  It happened that a Vending Stand Training class candidate was interviewed in the week prior to the suspension.  In the interview, this person expressed an interest in temporarily operating a B E P facility while waiting for the next class to start.  As she currently lives in the Lansing area, on June 27, 2013, she was asked to temporarily operate the S O S.  She agreed and began operation on July 1, 2013.

  In summary, the shortened timeline from suspension to hearing is the reason the Bureau did not pursue a temporary operator outside of the Lansing area.

  I trust this information satisfies your inquiry.

  With best regards,

  Constance Zanger

  Business Enterprise Program Manager

  Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

  Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

  517/335.3639

  517/335.5140 (facsimile)