[vendtalk] lottery question for venders

Kevan Worley kevanworley at blindmerchants.org
Thu Jan 22 18:59:51 UTC 2009

Greetings,

A number of blind vendors have lottery in Colorado. Some have sighted staff
deal with issues around scratch tickets, redemption, cash transaction, etc.
I know that one of our legally blind vendors handles it himself at the
register.

>From 1993 until 2000, I had lottery in 2 locations. I am totally blind and I
found alternative ways to manage; however, it must be said that my
convenient store and the café were in very high security buildings with
numerous military officers. In other words, the honesty/integrity quotient
was very high. If a Colonel gives you a scratch ticket and says that he has
won $10, it's safe to assume that he has won $10. I was able to dimel label
touch screen of lottery terminal to a degree that it became useful. I also
Braille labeled scratch ticket dispensers. If I ran into a challenge, I did
have one part-time employee who was tasked with other functions associated
with the business. I would occasionally call upon her eyes. I'm not sure
that the methods I employed would work in every setting and for every blind
manager, but I'm sure you could devise strategies which will work.