[vendtalk] Help me find help

Vandervoorts vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 2 17:20:34 UTC 2009

Phyliss,

I hope someone from Virginia will contact you as they had a large number of
roadside closings this year due to budget cuts. I do not know if any blind
vendors were impacted or not, but I would assume so. Facilities are free to
be closed by their host agencies and there is no guarantee for any blind
vendor about any facility that I know of.

Here, the Texas Department of Transportation makes those decisions whether
on interstates or for the few on state highways.  There has been at least
one permanent closure in the past year or so.  The only recourse was back
through our state SLA for possible reassignment to another facility.

I would recommend that you contact your district's STATE
representative/senator's offices as the decisions in GA are likely state
decisions, not federal.  I assume you have already contacted your SLA and
asked about options?

Hope someone else can give you more worthwhile advice.

Good luck!
Mike Vandervoort
Abilene, TX