[vendtalk] Roadside rest area ATM's

Vandervoorts vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 12 20:57:19 UTC 2010

Not much help but as an FYI -

Some managers in Texas have ATM's in indoor cafeteria locations and success
with them is OK.

Regarding ATM's at Roadside Vending Locations - I have a roadside that is in
an outside kiosk/standalone, three-sided building.  It is not an appropriate
location for any machine that is not able to withstand the hardships of
abuse, weather, insects, snakes, and dirt, of which West Texas has plenty
of.

Further, the state D.O.T. has had to install toilets in the nearby restrooms
that do not have toilet seats because people steal the seats.  With the
machine break-ins I have had and attempted lock drilling, from time to time,
I would not place an ATM on my roadside location.  I cannot put in credit
card acceptors that Coke wants me to use, either, because there is no
reliable cell service and there is no land line capability.

So, each site is probably unique and should be evaluated as such.

Good luck,
Mike Vandervoort
Abilene, TX