[vendtalk] 10 Healthy (and 10 Terrible!) Vending Machine Snacks

Vandervoort's vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 10 23:27:27 UTC 2011

Note:  If you did not already know it, some of what you probably vend is
considered "healthy."  My top selling chip, "Cheetos", is not.  Duh.  Enjoy!

10 Healthy (and Terrible!) Vending Machine Snacks By Virginia Sole-Smith
Article Source:
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/10-healthy-and-terrible-vending-machin
e-snacks-2600669.html

It's crunch time, and the snack machine is whispering your name. Pushing the
wrong buttons could be a diet disaster -- so check out our top 10
nutritional nightmares, and the 10 smartest snacks.

Guilty Pleasures - These 10 snacks top our "just-don't-do-it" list. Most are
packed with sugar, fat, and calories. Check out what you should avoid -- and
then choose from our smart snack options instead.

The Worst Pick
1. Drake's Apple Fruit Pie
440 calories, 27g fat, 7g sat fat, 8g trans fat
The Bottom Line: Nutritional nightmare

Second Worst
2. Austin Cheese Crackers with Cheddar Cheese
210 calories, 10g fat, 2g sat fat, 4g trans fat
The Bottom Line: A trans fat fest

Other Guilty Pleasures
3. Pop-Tarts Frosted Strawberry
420 calories, 10g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 40g sugar
The Bottom Line: For sharing only

4. Doritos
250 calories, 13g fat, 2.5g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: "Nacho" best option

5. Skittles
250 calories, 2.5g fat, 2.5g sat fat
The Bottom Line: More calories and fat than Twizzlers

6. Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers (27)
160 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat fat
The Bottom Line: No fiber, no protein

7. Ruffles Original
160 calories, 10g fat, 3g sat fat
The Bottom Line: Nothing but empty calories

8. Cheetos Crunchy
160 calories, 10g fat, 1.5g sat fat
The Bottom Line: Not great, but could be worse

9. Twix
280 calories, 14g fat, 11g sat fat
The Bottom Line: More "bad" fat than a Snickers

10. 3 Musketeers
260 calories, 8g fat, 5g sat fat, 40g sugar
The Bottom Line: Lower fat, but still candy

Healthy Snacks - These 10 low-fat and fat-free vending machine offerings are
the best of the bunch -- and some even include nutritious fiber, protein,
and healthy fats!

Top Pick
1. Planters Sunflower Kernels (1/4 cup)
160 calories, 14g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 4g fiber
The Bottom Line: Full of healthy fats

Second Best
2. Baked! Lays Original
210 calories, 3g fat, 0g sat fat, 4g fiber
The Bottom Line: Surprisingly fiber-full

Other Smart Snacks
3. Sun Chips Original
140 calories, 6g fat, 1g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: Made of whole grains

4. Snyder's of Hanover Mini Pretzels (20)
110 calories, 0g fat, 0g sat fat
The Bottom Line: Naturally fat-free

5. Smartfood Reduced-Fat Popcorn
120 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: Low fat, and has fiber!

6. Peanut M&M's
250 calories, 13g fat, 5g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: Just don't go nuts

7. Fig Newtons
190 calories, 0g fat, 0g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: It's fruit!

8. Nature Valley Granola Bar, Oats & Honey
180 calories, 6g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 2g fiber
The Bottom Line: Beats hunger

9. Planters Honey Roasted Peanuts
160 calories, 13g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 6g protein
The Bottom Line: High in protein

10. Quaker Chewy Low-Fat Granola Bar, Chocolate Chunk
110 calories, 2g fat, 0.5g sat fat, 1g fiber
The Bottom Line: Guilt-free chocolate