[vendtalk] FW: Transportation Update: Bill Voted out of Committee

Vandervoort's vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 10 00:31:40 UTC 2011

Thanks for the update Kevan!  I know I can count on NABM leadership
conveying to us what we need to know.

With some of my business being eliminated by the USPS, I am more concerned
now about rest stop viability and expansion.  As for electric charging
stations at rest stops, I had read this was a potential vending type
operation due to the rise in the sale and use of electric vehicles.  But,
engaging in the charging business would cost many thousands of dollars of
investment at each rest stop.  I know that required infrastructure is not
budgeted by our TX-DOT in the next two years.  I am fearful that our BEP/BET
programs might be suddenly burdened by the cost, on its own, or else, maybe
lose the opportunity to private industry.  Is there any serious discussions
on who would fund the design and installation of such a capability?

In Texas, I do believe that charging stations will be something of an
opportunity down the road, but not likely in the short-term.  I can also
believe that traditional service stations and truck stops will offer that
capability sooner, be in a position to roll-over newer technology faster,
and will engage in it more aggressively than can our current manager-funded
BEP/BET equipment programs.  I may be wrong but that is my best guess.

Please keep us informed of any change that could translate into a viable
business opportunity at our rest stops or on any other aspect of importance
to us.

Thank you,
Mike Vandervoort
Abilene, TX