[vendtalk] Doubletalk LT - text to speech

Manasco, Brenda Brenda.K.Manasco at dss.mo.gov
Fri Aug 14 21:20:38 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am looking for information on a piece of equipment called "Doubletalk LT".  It is designed to turn the printed display on a vending machine into speech.  It is supposed to work much like a handheld used by route drivers.  It plugs into the DEX port, sends the information through a 9 pin serial port into a speaker.  I tried it today and nothing happened.  The unit does talk, I heard it say 'ready'.  Now, I'm trying to figure out what kind of modifications I might need to make to the machine so it will talk.    I tried hitting the service switch, but still no luck.  I looked up the user's manual, and it talks a lot about old computers but doesn't mention vending machines.

If anyone has used this piece of equipment, I'd sure love to hear from them.
If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Respectfully,

Brenda K Manasco
Assistant Supervisor, Business Enterprise Program
Rehab. Services f/t Blind
615 Howerton Ct. / P.O. Box 2320
Jefferson City, MO 65102-2320
Ph 573-522-9347
Fax 573-751-1281
The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own.  --  Benjamin Disraeli

This communication is being transmitted by the Department of Social Services (DSS) and is confidential, privileged, and intended only for the use of the recipient named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please notify the sender and destroy the material received.