[Wasagdu] TSA and IDs

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:28:30 UTC 2016

Hi Becky, I don't have any more news about this issue at this
point.  Homeland Security has given Washington a couple of
extensions, but now they are saying that they will not do so
anymore.  Washington state is one of the few states where you do
not have to prove citizenship or legal status to get a driver's
license or state ID.  So at this point you will need to get a
passport.  Getting a passport is a little cumbersome and does
cost some money.  You will have to get your birth certificate or
other proof that you are either a U.S.  citizen or that you have
legal resident alien status in the United States.  You will also
have to get photo ID and usually you have to go to particular
places to get acceptable photo ID.  I think we went to the Post
Office, but that could have changed since it was several years
ago that we got ours.  Passports are good for ten years, so if
you have one you might want to check your expiration date to make
sure that it is still good.  Every ten years you have to get a
new passport if you are planning to be out of the country.  We go
to Canada sometimes, so that's why we always keep ours renewed.
Hope this helps.     Debby