[Wasagdu] Guiding Eyes grads

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 15:32:15 UTC 2016

This post is a curtesy to Guiding Eyes graduates on the Juno list.

the call is for current GEB graduates.

Eric Caron

Message follows:

Dear Guiding Eyes Graduates,

        the next GEB Graduate Council quarterly call will be held Sunday
October 30, at 7:00 pm Eastern time.
        Our speaker will be Pam Hogle.  Pam is a freelance writer,
journalist, and former service dog trainer. She has taught courses in
canine-human communication, dog law, and understanding the canine
perspective, at a small canine studies college in California. She writes a
blog, The Thinking Dog, which you can find at www.thinkingdogblog.com.
Pam will describe current research into dog-human communication and
relationships touching on three topics (time permitting):
* How guide dogs ask their partners for food, toys, and assistance and the
differences in how they respond to the nonverbal communication of their
partners versus that of sighted humans
* Recent MRI studies that explore how much of human spoken communication
dogs understand and what goes on in dogs' brains when they are reminded of
their humans versus unfamiliar humans
* Chaser, a border collie, who learned to respond to full sentences; we'll
discuss what her experience tells us about how dogs process and understand
human spoken language

        Recent discussion on the GEB Graduate list indicates this is a topic
of interest to many of us.

If you have questions in advance of the call, please email them to me at
eric.caron at icloud.com by Friday October  21.

The Conference call details follow:

To join the Sunday conference call,

dial:
1 712 432 1212
When prompted enter the conference ID Number:
886-060-494

As usual, there are a few points to keep in mind.
1.       At various times throughout the call, such as when the guest is
speaking, we will be muting all call participants to avoid distracting
background noise. If there are opportunities to open the floor, the
moderator will let you know and you will be able to press the star button
followed by the 6 button on your phone to unmute, should you wish to speak.
Remember, this function has nothing to do with the mute button on your
phone.
2.       Managing conversation on a large conference call is difficult.
Pauses between speakers need to be a little longer than normal conversation,
otherwise participants end up talking over one another. Be courteous and
allow an extra moment for another person to speak if they wish. The
moderator will do their best to manage any open questions or discussion.
This may mean occasionally cutting people short or ending a conversation in
order to keep the call moving. This is nothing personal, and sometimes
unavoidable on a large call.
3.       With the above in mind, if you are speaking, keep your comments and
questions as short as possible. This will insure that as many voices as
possible have  a chance to be heard.
4.       Finally, keep in mind that many people will be on the call.
Questions and/or comments should be limited to those that benefit the group.
Please avoid questions or comments of a strictly personal nature.

We hope that  you will be able to join us Sunday. Until then, take care
everyone.

Sincerely,
Eric Caron, and the  Guiding Eyes for the Blind Graduate Council

 Juno-l  is A  supportive  communications forum for  Guide Dog  users, and
Puppy
 Raisers.  Founded and supported by  Guiding Eyes for the Blind  Graduates.

Becky Frankeberger
Butterfly Knitting
-  Ponchos
-  Afghans