[WesternWayneMI] NFBMI-Talk] The Informant 2024, Vol. Three

debrag1374 at sbcglobal.net debrag1374 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 18 10:49:52 UTC 2024

The Informant 2024

Vol. 3: Growing, Innovating and Improving the Federation Family Together

March 16, 2024

Affiliate Zoom Link:
<https://zoom.us/j/9612695221?pwd=dHlxZDNwcVVZbUVTYUM5cEU4cDlndz09>
https://zoom.us/j/9612695221?pwd=dHlxZDNwcVVZbUVTYUM5cEU4cDlndz09

>From the President: Happy Saturday to my Federation family, friends, and
guests as I welcome you to this terrific, tardy edition of "The Informant!"
With so much to recount after our information-filled quarterly state board
meeting on March 9, I am excited to share some important state division and
chapter updates for you all. The work and progress of our affiliate in
building the Federation lies with our membership. It is encouraging to learn
about how much is being done to continue to improve the lives of blind
people both statewide and nationally.

The month of March often marks the changing of the seasons, both in the
Federation and in our physical climate. Much like Daylight Savings Time, the
enthusiasm of the Federation returns, creating new possibilities for members
and leaders alike. Whether it is through your love for convention or your
interest in supporting a Federation program, I encourage all Michigan
Federationist to join me in diving headfirst into the Federation spirit.
Opportunities, something we often provide our members, exist for you to
raise expectations and to participate actively as we continue to build the
Federation.

What does "participating actively" mean in the Federation? This question,
like many I receive from our members throughout the affiliate, is important.
It can serve as educational opportunities for both our leaders and members
in innovating and developing chapters or divisions to be more inclusive and
effective. The Michigan affiliate is diverse, brimming with nuanced ideas,
identities, and positions. This gives me hope that there is something in our
affiliate this season that you can find that interests you and helps us in
continuing to turn dreams into reality. Taking on new projects, joining
different committees or even registering for your first convention can be a
first step to joining in the active Federation spirit with us this season.
Whatever your choice, know that I am here with you as we continue to live
the lives we want.

Important National Updates

*	Hotel reservations for the 2024 NFB National Convention are filling
quickly. The convention will take place July 3-8 at the Rosen Center Hotel
in Orlando, FL. For information about convention and to register online,
visit  <http://www.nfb.org/convention> www.nfb.org/convention.
*	The application period is still open for the 2024 Kenneth Jernigan
Scholarship program. The award is designed for first-time attendees of the
NFB national convention and provides financial assistance to those who
request. Applicants must be a member of a local chapter or state division in
Michigan. The application for the Kenneth Jernigan Award can be found at
<https://nfb.org/form/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scho>
https://nfb.org/form/kenneth-jernigan-convention-scho.
*	The 2024 NFB National Scholarship program is live. Every year, the
National Federation of the Blind offers thirty scholarships to students
enrolled in a college, university, or other post-secondary educational
program. Graduating high school seniors are also encouraged to apply.
Applicants are required to meet the legal definition of blindness and
prepare to attend the entire national convention in Orlando. The deadline
for the scholarship program is March 31, 2024. To apply for the national
scholarship program, please visit  <https://scholarships.nfb.org/>
https://scholarships.nfb.org/.
*	The 2024 NFB of Michigan caucus will take place on July 3 at 9pm at
the Rosen Center Hotel in Orlando. Room location and additional information
will be made available shortly.

Important State Updates

*	The NFBMI happily welcomes its new Webmaster, Benjamin McKenzie, as
part of its team. Chapter and division leaders are advised to discuss
webpage updates with the Communications Committee. Each active chapter is
encouraged to have a member on the state communications committee.
*	Beginning April 1, the NFBMI Webpage will offer a form for members
requesting financial assistance for Federation programs. This form, inspired
by some of the leadership of the NFB of Maryland, is similarly used in
numerous affiliates. The deadline for requesting funding from the NFB of
Michigan for national convention is May 31, 2024. Members are encouraged to
register for the 2024 NFB convention and  explore funding options with their
chapter or division prior to applying. Offers of assistance are contingent
upon adherence to Federation program policies and attendance of required
program sessions.
*	The NFBMI Capital Region Chapter will be partnering with the
affiliate to present a statewide voter access education seminar. The
tentative date of this program will be Saturday, August 10, 2024. Topics
covered include accessible ballots, electronic voting, and items blind
voters face during primary and general elections in our state. If you are
interested in joining or supporting this program, contact Jay J. Meddaugh at
<mailto:vp at nfbmi.org> vp at nfbmi.org or Mark Eagle at
<mailto:treasurer at nfbmi.org> treasurer at nfbmi.org.
*	The National Federation of the Blind of Michigan will have a vendor
table April 25-26 at the 2024 MAER Conference at the Park City Hotel in
Traverse City. We encourage members or interested guests to join us and
learn about the 2024 Raising Expectations Accessing Life (REAL) program, as
well as updates to our scholarship program and how you can get a student to
apply.
*	The National Federation of the Blind of Michigan will have vendor
tables at both the 2024 Libraries Without Walls program in Lansing on May 9
and the 2024 Visions Conference in Ann Arbor on June 5. During these
opportunities to network with professionals and teachers of the blind, we
encourage members to assist in promoting our scholarship program for
students, the 2024 voter access program and additional work we do the
achieve equality, opportunity, and security for blind people. If you are
interested in attending either of these events to represent the Federation,
please contact Robert at  <mailto:President at nfbmi.org> President at nfbmi.org.
*	The 2024 State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of
Michigan will take place October 31-November 3 at the Radisson Plaza Hotel
at Kalamazoo Center. The address is  100 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI
49007. Convention details, including registration, will come in time. If you
are interested in joining the convention planning committee, including
coordination or agenda development, please contact Jay J. Meddaugh at
<mailto:vp at nfbmi.org> vp at nfbmi.org.
*	The NFBMI fundraising committee is excited to announce our Spring
fundraising program, "The 2024 NFBMI Double Good Challenge." From March
30-April 2, each active chapter, and state division will have a live link to
a Double Good virtual popcorn store. We encourage all members to share their
chapter or division's link and help their store rise in sales to support
members quest as we prepare for our national convention in Orlando.
Remember, proceeds from this fundraiser directly support the members that
need assistance in attending our national convention and other programs. For
more information about the fundraiser or how to receive your
chapter/division's link, join the fundraising committee meeting on Sunday,
March 17 at 7pm.
*	The NFBMI Membership committee thanks all active chapters and
divisions for their work to update and maintain records using our online
portal. If you are a dues-paid member of a chapter or division and have
questions about your activity status, please consult your chapter or
division membership coordinator. Every active chapter and division have a
membership coordinator.
*	The NFBMI Communications committee is seeking members to help spread
the word of the Federation. If you are a person that is organized,
proficient in social media or drafting emails, your skills can be the work
that moves the affiliate and the Federation forward. If you are someone that
cares about your chapter or division's accomplishments being highlighted via
these channels or our webpage, this is a committee for you. Please contact
Ather Jammoa, chair, at  <mailto:Atherjammoa at yahoo.com>
Atherjammoa at yahoo.com for more information on how to join and play your part
in working towards our goals.
*	The NFBMI Youth and Family program  planning committee is hard at
work in providing the best opportunities for blind children and families.
The committee is excited to begin actively promoting the 2024 Raising
Expectations Accessing Life (REAL) program, which takes place June 21-23 in
the city of Flint. If you are interested in attending as a participant in
either our STEM2U or NFBMI Scholars track, please read more about it on our
official registration page. Please join us for our next committee meeting on
March 19, where we will be working on program coordination. For more
information, please contact Tara Morgan at <mailto:tara.morgan180 at gmail.com>
tara.morgan180 at gmail.com.

Chapter/Division Announcements

*	At Large Chapter: The At Large chapter has been hard at work in
advocacy. This week, March 15, the chapter partnered with the affiliate in
submitting an official letter to Kalamazoo Public School Transportation
regarding their withholding of accommodations for a blind parent. The
chapter meets every first Tuesday of the month at 8pm via Zoom and holds a
monthly philosophy discussion every third Tuesday of the month at 8pm. We
hope to connect with everyone there.
*	Detroit Chapter: The Chapter hosted a demonstration of the I9 Ap
that is currently being developed by a group in the Apple Developer Academy
to help guide blind pedestrians via GPS and cameras; Began discussing the
intersectionality of a crisis in low self-esteem in the Black community as
well as the blind community; Held a fund-raiser/outing that took 20 people
to the Detroit Public Theater for A Day At The Play to enjoy Blues For An
Alabama Sky on March 3rd; Participated in a local Black History Month
Program where Membership Committee Chair John Scott, Member Bob McPhearson,
and President Richard Clay were guest speakers; Is planning the next meeting
for our Ad-hoc committee on Voting Problems following the recent primary
election; And, member Tara Morgan just launched the March Madness Games
Squares pool/betting competition for everyone as a fund raiser with great
cash prizes that will donate all proceeds to the Chapter. Call Tara now and
throughout the month to purchase squares at $25.00 each at: 586-260-7803.
*	Flint-Genessee Chapter: our monthly Chapter meetings in person and
Hybrid are going Very Well and strong with twenty plus members attending.
Kudos to the members! If you are interested in joining the Flint-Genessee
chapter, our next meeting will be Thursday, March 21 at 6pm. For more
information, please contact Sheila Fulmore at
<mailto:sspfulmore0402 at gmail.com> sspfulmore0402 at gmail.com.

*	New Wayne County Chapter: Hello members . We are continuing with the
Avon fund raiser through 03/18/2024. We will have our chapter meeting on
04/06/2024 at the Red Apple restaurant 32711 Michigan Ave. Wayne MI. A
member rejoined the chapter on 03/12/2024. On 05/04/2024, we will have our
chapter meeting. When the meeting is adjourned, the chapter will go hiking
for fun and exercise. All are welcome to join.
*	Blind Michigan Seniors Advocating for Seniors (BMSAS): Hello
Michigan Seniors! Please join me for our monthly meeting. It will take place
on the 4th Monday of the month at 8:00 PM. We will be meeting in the
Michigan ZOOM Room. This month we will talk about our upcoming National
Convention. There will also be an incredibly special fund-raising event to
help our members with Convention expenses. Hope to see you there!

Important State Affiliate Dates

*	03/17/24 NFBMI Fundraising Committee Meeting
*	03/19/24: NFBMI Youth and Family Program Planning Committee Meeting
(5pm)
*	03/19/24 NFBMI AT Large Philosophy Discussion (8pm)
*	03/22/24 BSBP Consumer Involvement Committee Meeting
*	03/28/24: NFBMI Legislative Committee Meeting
*	03/30/24: NFBMI Double Good Fundraiser Begins
*	04/02/24 NFBMI At Large Chapter Meeting

With Love, Hope and Determination,

Robert Parsons, Jr., M. A., CRC, CVRT, LLC

President, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

(269) 216- 8640

www.nfbmi.org <http://www.nfbmi.org>

"Without struggle, there is no progress." - Frederick Douglas