[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Smartphones

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Mon Oct 14 13:34:22 UTC 2013

Disruptions: Visually Impaired Turn to Smartphones to See Their World

Luis Perez loves taking photographs. He shoots mostly on an iPhone,
snapping gorgeous pictures of sunsets, vintage cars, old buildings and
cute puppies. But when he arrives at a photo shoot, people are often
startled when he pulls out a long white cane.

In addition to being a professional photographer, Mr. Perez is almost blind.

"With the iPhone I am able to use the same technology as everyone else,
and having a product that doesn't have a stigma that other technologies
do has been really important to me," said Mr. Perez, who is also an
advocate for blind people and speaks regularly at conferences about the
benefits of technology for people who cannot see. "Now, even if you're
blind, you can still take a photo."

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/disruptions-guided-by-touch-screens-blind-turn-to-smartphones-for-sight/?_r=1

Seeing color through inner vision
<http://www.irvingrambler.com/index.php/newsx/1635-seeing-color-through-inner-vision>

/Blind artist's new exhibit focuses on the creative senses/

A new collection of artwork by blind artist George Mendoza has come to
the Irving Arts Center (IAC) and will run through November 10. On Sept.
28, Mendoza came to the IAC in person and gave a lecture on his artwork
and his outlook on building a successful life while dealing with blindness.
http://www.irvingrambler.com/index.php/newsx/1635-seeing-color-through-inner-vision

TSLA to display School for the Blind artwork

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee School for the Blind artwork will be
displayed at the Tennessee State Library and Archives this month.

This is the fourth year TSLA has displayed art from the school to
commemorate "Art Beyond Sight Awareness Month," an annual event
sponsored by Art Education <http://topics.sacbee.com/Art+Education/> for
the Blind, a New York-based nonprofit organization.

The exhibit is free and is located in the lobby of TSLA's building in
downtown Nashville.

  http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/03/5790192/tsla-to-display-school-for-the.html

Assassinating Thomson

and his own experiences as a legally blind artist living with only 10
per cent vision, he simultaneously paints a group portrait of the
audience as he sees it from the stage. A symbol of the play's theme
about the individual ways we see the world, you can buy the painting
from the Calgary-based artist at the end of the show.

Oct, 8-19 Firehasll Arts Centre Tickets: $20 at firehallartscentre.ca
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Assassinating+Thomson/8991697/story.html

Read more here:
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/10/03/5790192/tsla-to-display-school-for-the.html#storylink=cpyTSLA