[Artists-making-art] blind student's introduction

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 02:22:37 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

My name is Humberto Avila and I legally blind since birth. I am not totally
blind but I have little vision in one corner of my right eye. I am a college
student living in Yakima, Washington.
I currently don't do any art like painting or drawing and stuff. However I
am quite an accomplished musician. when I was in high school I use to play
the Violin for my school orchestra, and I did this for about two years. I
also know how to play the piano, and I play the piano for my church choir. I
use to be able to play piano just for pleasure but my busy schedule has kept
me from doing this quite a bit. but I do practice violin quite now and then
since I think the violin is a beautiful instrument and I do enjoy it when
others enjoy what I'm playing on the violin.

I have joined this list because I am very curious about how blind people,
especially congenitally blind people who were blind since birth like me, are
capable of expressing themselves through the use of art. I'm also wondering
what kind of art blind people have done, not just music. I am very megaSure
that blind people have the potential of doing art. if anyone here on this
list has done some art, like drawing, painting, or doing something with his
or her hands, how did you make that challenge possible? which steps did you
take to make your art accessible for the sighted and to the blind? did you
do art when you were blind? I'm mostly curious about how a blind person does
art being blind. I have never done something like that. is anyone here
interested in making art but failed to do so because of the ignorance and
peer pressure of sighted people saying no?

hope to see you soon and hope to find out about your art soon. It is nice to
"meet" you on this online discussion list for art for blind people.

Sincerely,
Humberto