[blindkid] Descriptive books??

Carlton Anne Cook Walker attorneywalker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 01:38:51 UTC 2008

Kathy,

I know that you're right, I'm just frustrated about it all.

This world is so very vision-centric, and it makes me mad.  Since when
did "reading" become the act of interpreting pictures?

Now, I understand that pictures are an excellent way to teach children
concepts as they are learning to read -- so long as those pictures are
accessible.  But, the pictures are only a TOOL -- they are NOT reading
itself.

Even written picture descriptions are of only limited value, in my
opinion.  For an emerging reader, the parentheses sign before the
description can be misinterpreted as a "g" or unknown symbol for a
reader of uncontracted braille and possibly as "were" or "go" (if
tracking and placement within the cell are problems).  Additionally,
many picture descriptions are written in language that is above the
level of the reader.  This is just so very frustrating for the
emergent reader -- not fun, like reading should be.

I'm sorry, I'll get off my soapbox.  This prevalence of testing on
picture interpretations in READING classes is just so nonsensical to
me.  To me, it's another example of how dependent the sighted are upon
their sight and their lack of inclination to make education inclusive
for students who may not be able to interpret pictures visually.

Carlton

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker
213 North First Street