[blindkid] Identify yourself please

Kathy - Arizona kah-az at cox.net
Sat Nov 22 00:40:41 UTC 2008

I'm going to add my 2-cents to all the other comments made.  I've heard all
kinds of blind people, in ALL kinds of situations, at all kinds of
places....and they've all handled it about the same.  It's either by asking
the person's name, or saying, "who's this?"...or "who's that?"  It's pretty
simple, but it takes all kinds of personalities to pick what is right for
them.  I know I wouldn't want to have someone say "Guess who?" at all, nor
would I like to try to figure out who was behind a door all the time.   But
please don't scorn your child for being inquisitive enough to want to know
exactly who that person is....whether he's familiar with that person or not.
I've often said myself, "I'm sorry, but what is your name?" to people I
don't know, and I'm sighted.

One issue that is totally different here is if someone is talking to your
child through you.  At a restaurant, maybe a waiter asks you what your child
wants, instead of asking them.  Or a teacher directly asks you about a way
that is best for him to get around, rather than asking HIM.  That is
something you may have to get involved with until your child is old enough
to handle these situations best.  I know it still happens that when I'm with
my daughter, someone will answer ME instead of answering HER.  She'll often
respond as I've learned to just let THEM feel uncomfortable for a minute
rather than she or I feeling awkward.  And....they eventually get it, and
direct their questions or comments then directly to her.  And my daughter is
a grown up woman, not a child.  So, it's never to early to start that lesson
in having your child definitely speak up...ask who they're talking to, and
if they're feeling ignored, make a 2nd. attempt at expressing their
issues.....it might not change the waiters of the world, but it'll give them
more self-esteem.

Kathy
President
POBC - AZ