[blindkid] help needed with IEP goals

Kim Cunningham kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Mon Nov 24 11:34:27 UTC 2008

Doreen,
I would like to give you some food for thought. You daughter sounds like she has "vision" very similar to that of my daughter. I am now in a predicament that might help you to avoid. My daughter can also "see" enough to read and write, so that was how the school taught her. I thought that they were the "professionals" and made all of her goals "vision relatated". Now that she is in the 11th grade, she is having a really hard time. While our children can "see" you must ask yourself whether she has enough vision to keep up with the other children using what is pretty unreliable. There is something called "bi-medium" where children learn both print and braille. Print can be used for work in subjects such as math and science. Children with low vision will never read print at the same reading speed as her sighter peers. When the reading amount and level picks up, you will see your child fall behind - not because she can't, but because she will be a slower
 reader and will have trouble keeping up with the pace of the class. Braille readers can read at the same speed (if not faster) than sighted kids. Think about all the reading that will be required of her in college....
I would strongly recommend that you stand your ground and demand that your daughter be given a cane with O&M instruction. The cane will be the key to your daughter's independence.
There are a couple of books that I would like to recommend to read also. First is a book about O&M written by Joe Cutter titled "Independent Movement and Travel in Blind Children - The Promotional Model"
http://secure.nfb.org/ecommerce/asp/product.asp?product=747&cat=47&ph=&keywords=&recor=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=
Also, another book for the classroom is written by Carol Castellano titled "Making it Work: Educating the Blind/VI Student in the Regular Classroom". Our district just bought some copies after reading mine. (Now let's see if the heed to Carol's words of wisdom!).
http://secure.nfb.org/ecommerce/asp/product.asp?product=703&ph=search&keywords=carol,castellano&recor=1&SearchFor=any&PT_ID=all

I hope that this brings some ideas that you might not have thought about.
Regards,
Kim Cunningham