[blindkid] help needed with IEP goals

Brandy with Discovery Toys branlw at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 24 19:21:19 UTC 2008

Hi, This may be hard to hear, but your daughter needs to be using a cane. It
is vital to her success confidence, and independence. She must learn to be
comfortable with the cane. She needs to learn it is a tool for her safety.
She also needs to be learning non visual techniques for home. Falling in her
home environment shouldn't be happening.

Second if her vision is this low I'd be considering beginning Braille
instruction. Its ok if you want to teach her print, but teaching Braille
will help her be far more successful in her academic life.

I agree the IEP team is off with their goals, but I would definitely
consider the use of a cane, and Braille.

I say this as a blind adult who is about to finish a degree in Early
childhood education with minors in special Education and reading
difficulties.

Bran

"We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories.
Some take us forward, they're called dreams."
Jeremy Irons

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Group Manager and Educational Consultant

Shop online any time!
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 231-8697

Let me know if I can help with any of the following:
* Starting your own Discovery Toys business
* Best buy bundles allow you to shop at a discount year round
* How you can earn toys for free
* Gift baskets for all ages
* Gift certificates
* Office setups and much more