[blindkid] Specifying a particular school in the IEP

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Nov 27 18:41:27 UTC 2008

Doug
I'll have to do a bit of research on this one. However, I have one
caveat and I write this bearing in mind that you are the best judge of
what your daughter needs: don't be too swift to knock a bit of
repitition: especially in math skills, I believe that schools these days
do not emphasize skill-building sufficiently that students can do them
without thinking -- which is the skill one is trying to impart. I was in
gifted programs often all the way through school. But the skill that I
found most valuable was the skill to invent for myself tasks an
assignments that *weren't* boring. So if I was assigned to read a
Shakespeare comedy, I read *all* the comedies;. That's just one example.

I'm not contradicting you: I'm just opining that *some* repitition to
the point of facility has merit.

I'll inquire of our local School for the Blind Superintendent about what
one can request on an IEP; he deals with this sort of thing all the
time. I suspect that it depends upon the rules governing special ed in
your state. Which means that I'd bet the answer is "no". Andk,
philosophically-speaking, although parents are and must be fierce
advocates for the well-being of their children, do you *really* want
your daughter to go through life knowing that she got into a special
school *because* of her blindness? Does that not send the wrong message?

Just food for thought and I hope she gets in.

Mike Freeman