[blindkid] new parents with some questions

Pat Chadwick radiowalker at disabilityhistory.org
Fri Nov 28 04:33:33 UTC 2008

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on the adoption of your son. I can't respond to all of your
questions. Our daughter who is blind was adopted at age 12.5 years and had
not been neglected. However, in regards to the sleeping issue, we adopted a
sighted daughter, who was 18 months at adoption and required hours of
rocking (while being carried back and forth) before going to sleep. I
eventually ended up just firmly but gently holding her (lying down with her
on the couch) at bedtime. She objected loudly, crying and wiggling the first
few times but eventually was able to go to sleep this way. Not sure if this
would work for all kids but you could try it.

Best, pat