[blindkid] new parent

Jan Wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 21:10:43 UTC 2008

Hi Jayson,
Congratulations on  your new son!!!
I am sure that it will be both challenging and rewarding.
Take it slow.
Remember how he has spent the last five years of his life.
What do you know about his daily living? Were you able to observe him in the orphanage in India?
Was the staff in India and/or the agency able to give you any information about his likes, dislikes, triggers, etc?
Be cautious about evaluations.
while they will give you some suggestions and this is  good,
they might make assumptions and predictions that are invalid.
I have seen children thrown into school settings, and honestly, it is not the best for them.
 Please take it slow when introducing him to new things,  new people, new stimulus, new environments.
You can use that energy to your advantage. He can go on long walks with you and your wife.
Many people who have adopted special needs children say that routine is one of the best ways to help a child feel safe and secure, as well as thrive.
 Sometimes finding an alternative, more appropriate stimulus and replacing the old one, is helpful.
But, you will have to teach him how to handle that new thing.
And, it will not happen over night.
But, I am sure that you know these things, already.
Enjoy your Son!
Please keep us updated.
Jan and family