[blindkid] buying adaptive technology for home use

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:33:47 UTC 2008

EJ-their policy is not lawful in it's blanket approach. If you decide to
challenge first ask for their policy in writing. Often these things are not
actual written policy.

Here is the Federal law, which would trump Wisconsin law if WI law is
narrower:
 OTHER FAPE REQUIREMENTS
300.105 Assistive technology.
(a) Each public agency must ensure that assistive technology devices or
assistive technology SERVICES, or both, as those defined in 300.5 and 300.6
respectively, are made available to a child with a disability if required as
part of the child's
(1) Special Education under 300.36 or
(2) Related Services under 300.34 or
(3) Supplementary aids and services under 300.38 and 300.14 (a) (2) (ii)

 [you can look all these "under" references up at www.wrightslaw.com to give
full depth to your understanding]

(b) ON A CASE BY CASE basis, the use of school purchased assistive
technology devices in a child's home or in other settings is REQUIRED IF the
child's IEP team determines that the child NEEDS ACCESS to those devices IN
ORDER to receive FAPE.

A team can determine that at home use should be free and certainly
appropriate to have access to completing homework just as all the other
students have opportunity and access to their homework and to produce it.
It is in the law that it is to be determined on a case by case
basis--individualized. The Wisconsin district can not have a written policy
on it, if they do and use that I would complain about it in writing with
their correspondence to the Department of Public Instruction in Wisconsin. I
recommend contacting your state NFB president about it, he can help and his
wife is a battle hardened and successful TVI and certified O and M. Tell
Heather I sent you-smile.

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc