[blindkid] introductions

Jessica Brown black22 at localnet.com
Sat Aug 15 09:58:29 UTC 2009

Hi Carly,

My daughter is 2 and 1/2 and is totally blind. I also have two older girls and a 2 month old. When we meet new people we introduce her just like we introduce the other girls. If the cane doesn't give it away usually people will ask. Sometimes she will not respond if the other person talks back to her but she is only 2. My other girls did the same thing. We then prompt her. When it comes to children her age it is a little harder because she wants to touch them. Usually, we just ask if we shake their hand. Most 2-3 year olds don't talk as much as Emma. My parents used to give everyone Emma's "life story" about how she was born blind ect. I finally told them that I would rather that they didn't do that. It gives my older girls and Emma this idea that she is "different" or like some of my clients would say "special". She is not any different than someone with diabetes or a  bad hip ect. We all have something that isn't "perfect". I also don't want Emma walking around saying "Hi! I'm Emma. I'm blind!". So, When we meet someone, they may say "Hi!". And we say Emma this is X. Sometimes she will say "Hi! X., and sometimes we have to prompt her.

Jessica