[blindkid] Braille Instructor question

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:52:51 UTC 2009

Mashawna,
You can become a certified Braille transcriber through correspondence. The
course can be found at the www.nfb.org, Jernigan Institute links or better
yet write the person in charge of the course Jennifer Dunnam.
jennifer.dunnam at nfb.org

Jennifer will be most happy to help you and answer questions.

There is also a free course with Hadley School for the Blind which you are
welcome to go to their site or call them and also consider~however if you
wish to become actually certified and totally fluent in Braille and proper
formatting etc. the National Library Course run through our Jernigan
Institute under Jennifer Dunnam is the way to go. Additionally if then
certified in the coming years you could make an income off being a
transcriber. We not only have a shortage of teachers but transcribers too
and if there is a good one it frees the teacher to do more instruction if
she/he does not have to spend time on transcription.

As a footnote:  my dear friend Marla Palmer has told me many good things
about you! And my Congratulations and Commendations to you on your advocacy
efforts so far.

Carrie Gilmer, President
Minnesota Organization of Parents of Blind Children