[blindkid] question re shopping assistance

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Dec 10 15:01:33 UTC 2009

There is one other strategy that may  also be useful, especially if
the goal is public awareness and the benefit of blind shoppers
everywhere.

Earlier this year, a (typically-sighted) fellow was flying on United
Airlines. Many of you may know this story-- He was a musician and
flying to play some jobs with his band. The airline employees threw
some of their equipment about in plain view of passengers on the
ground. They broke the fellow's $3500 guitar and refused to pay for
the $1200 repair it required.

Instead of suing them etc., he wrote a song and made a video about
this (which is very funny and worth a look just for how clever it is).
Now, a few months later, the video has just under 6.5 MILLION viewings
and has no doubt cost the airline a fortune. A story like the one we
have been discussing might not make a great music video (or perhaps it
would-- I'm not discouraging that either) but Sears wants to sell
things to customers and therefore wants customers to like them.
Cleverly, or even just politely getting the word out that Unlike 2 or
5 or 25 of the OTHER stores in your local mall, Sears does not wish to
be bothered to help a blind shopper makes them look bad. You might
therefore start by calling your local TV station, especially while it
is still the holiday shopping season. Just remember to be polite on
camera if you can get TV involved-- we don't want to look angry about
this-- only as if we are the recipients of poor treatment, as we
clearly are in this case. ("We" being the collective blind and their
parents in this case)

The threat of loosing one customer is small to a huge place like
Sears. You tube postings and TV News stories on things like this can
cause them a lot more harm and encourage them to comply not just once,
but by policy. I'm reminded of when Six Flags here in Atlanta refused
to let a number of blind patrons in during an NFB convention of all
times, because they wanted to bring in their white canes. TV cameras
showed up and suddenly there were blind folks in the park WITH their
canes.

Could there or should there be follow-up legal dealings? Perhaps. But
the bottom line is that the court of public opinion is the one that
will provide the speediest result in a great many cases!

To see the United video BTW, simply Google "United Breaks Guitars".
There are actually two different videos now and that fellow intends to
make a third one. The songwriter incidentally has now refused to
accept payment from United for his loss (they only agreed to pay AFTER
a giant public reaction). He has asked United (also very publicly--
this is on youtube as well) instead to offer any payment which they
would have made to him to the charity of their choice only requesting
that they make public the amount and recipient. I understand the
guitar company (mentioned in the songs as well) has also given this
fellow a number of free instruments...  I really think there is a
lesson in that story for many of us, both blind and sighted.

Richard