[blindkid] Cane Travel for 4 year Old

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Thu Dec 17 22:59:46 UTC 2009

I am gonna take a guess that he is trying to use his cane to get vibration
feed back.  The mushroom tip doesn't do that as well as a regular tip.  With
our son I did hand over hand (boy my back hurt for a while) and I made up a
song singing tap, tap, in time to a stupid melody.  But the melody was
rhythmic and went along with our walking pace.  When he forgets, I just
start the tap, tap, song.  I do have to occasionally remind him to put the
cane on the ground or I tell him to use your cane.  I do not always hold his
hand.  I talk to him and have him follow my voice and I give directional
word cues. I still have to cue him to use his cane for steps to check dept,
going up and down, as well as curb.  When we are doing this, I do not hold
his hand.  He has to do it by himself, but I am there to catch him if he
stumbles, for safety.  He is 3 1/2 half.  If he raises the cane in anger, I
immediately take the cane until he is calmed down.  After all they are still
toddlers.  I hope this helps.
     Lastly, I have the book, "Independent Movement and Travel in Blind
Children", by Joseph Cutter.  Excellent book with a lot of common sense tips
and easy to follow techniques.

Merry Christmas and Blessings,
Sue H.