[blindkid] Parents Must Learn Braille

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Feb 27 18:17:29 UTC 2009

As I'm reading your book, Carol, it's pretty obvious (the ideas in Making
It Work: Educating the Blind/VI Student In The Regular School:)

1.  A blind person, with no, or visual acuity, MUST LEARN BRAILLE.
Period.

2.  Parents should take full interest in the Individualized Educational
Plan (IEP.)

And,

3.  Parents must encourage braille in the home.

I agree with most of you that parents _must _learn _braille.  This is
important.  There are many ways one can learn this form of raised dots.
One way is through a college or university, that offers courses in teaching
for the blind/VI.  Another resource is a local blindness agency.

Whatever you decide, don't force braille, encourage it.

(As a side note, Carol, I have the Braille edition of the book; your book
is offered at UCLA here in Los Angeles.  I'm trying to get the word out on
the book.  I'm on Chapter 3!)

Eric
Your home for baseball: eric at pmpmail.com, introducing a new distribution
list for you.  Wanna join?  Send an e-mail to eric at pmpmail.com.