[blindkid] Parents Must Learn Braille

Michael Bullis mabullis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 19:35:52 UTC 2009

I confess to not following this thread much.  But, I will comment.
I suppose that with blind kids who have some vision it's more important for
their parents to model and be comfortable with Braille.
In my family, my parents never learned it.  What they did do though is read
a lot.  I learned a love of books from their reading to me and from their
reading a lot at home.  When I finally learned Braille I had a hunger to
read that has never left me.
I think studies show that kids who grow up in reading families read.
Again, I was a pretty much totally blind kid.  There never was any way I
could read print so the fact that my parents read it meant nothing of
signifficance to me.  In other words, the thing I wanted to imitate was the
fact that they read, not that they read print.
I suppose if I had a kid with some vision I'd be emphasizing the slowness of
their print reading if it was being effected by their lack of vision.
Not sure if any of this is helpful.  Better get back to reading.
Mike Bullis