[blindkid] SAT info

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 22:07:51 UTC 2009

Hello Everyone,

As I think I mentioned in a recent post, I am researching
accommodations for SAT, ACT, etc. for a book I am writing.  I have
just found something very exciting out that was news to me.  Maybe
everyone else in the world knows this already, but...

We knew that both ACT and the College Board (SAT, PSAT) permit a
reader as an accommodation for blind/VI students.  But did you know
that a reader is permitted to read ANY part of the exam, not just the
directions?  They just have to read verbatim.  This means that they
are allowed to read the reading passages.  It also means that they
can be directed to reread lines that the student needs to read in
order to answer questions!  I was really excited to learn this and
hope that this information can help make the test more successful for
your kids.

Carol