[blindkid] PSAT's

EMMOL at aol.com EMMOL at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 00:39:54 UTC 2009

My son took the PSAT's, in Braille, last October.

I was not successful contacting ETS by email, so I called them  in March
before he was to take the test, to review the procedures. My son  obtained an
application from his school guidance office. We completed part of  it, his
guidance counselor completed part and I believe his vision  teacher may have had to
verify, as well. We had to indicate his  diagnosis/eye condition to explain why
he would want to take it in Braille.  (Not just a fun exercise.) A panel
reviews the request. My son received a letter  notifying him of the accommodations
approved by the College Board.(The school  received one, too.) It covers the
PSAT, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, & AP  Exams. The letter indicated that he is
eligible to receive the  accommodations outlined as long as he remained at the
same school and the school  verified that he continues to be eligible.

Don't delay in applying. It was about a month until he received  the letter,
but I understand it can take longer.

FYI: The Braille PSAT is given on an earlier date than the one you  register
for. He was registered for the Saturday date with everyone  else and a short
time before he planned to take the test, the school  notified us that he would
take it the Wednesday before everyone else, as it  is a national date for the
Braille PSAT. He needed to notify teachers he would  be missing class & was of
course responsible for missed work etc. Needless  to say, although they
tried, it wasn't as quiet as on a Saturday when only test  takers are in school.

The guidance counselor gave him the Braille practice materials that were
sent to him.

It's a process, but part of the college prep for our kids.
Hope this helps.
Eileen

steps!
cemailfooterNO62)