[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 57, Issue 23‏: Leaving class early

J DREICER j_griego1321 at msn.com
Sat Jan 24 23:10:52 UTC 2009

Sally,
I agree with the others in that your son should not be dismissed early from class.
Middle school is tough for all kids and it is best if he is treated like the others as much
as possible. I'd ask the instructor to take your son to the middle school this year while
classes are in session and to map his route to classes in late summer just prior to starting school
We had a problem with my son getting through narrow, crowded hallways when he first
started middle school. He did not receive sufficient training prior to the transition from
elementary and it showed. Prior to the transition to high school the current O& M instructor
spent a few days with him at the high school during passing periods and again just before
school started in the fall. This time the transition was uneventful. Regarding lockers, he does have a key rather than combo lock
and the locker is at the end of the row. He seemed to find that useful.
Janet