[blindkid] Playground strategies for low-vision 5 yr. old

Brandon and Sarah lanesims at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 17:54:35 UTC 2009

I would love some ideas or strategies other folks have used to help their
low-vision or blind kids interact on the playground.  I have a 5 year old in
'regular' kindergarten and recess is pretty challenging so far this year.
Emilia is a twin, so she has had a ready-made playmate her whole life.  She
also tends to be on the quiet side.  I am starting to schedule play dates
with other kids in her class, but moving quickly on the playground in not
her forte (she is a very grounded kid - in more ways than one!).  Her
teacher is not helpful at all, but I am starting to work with the school
counselor and would love any input from parents who have been there.
Thanks!

- Sarah Sims

  Boise, ID