[blindkid] OT goals~help needed!

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Mon Jan 26 04:04:00 UTC 2009

A few thoughts:  Does your daughter still need the
shoulder/arm/wrist/hand strengthening that activities like the
wheelbarrow walk provide?  My understanding is that it takes a
certain amount of pressure like that in order for the hands to be
able to do fine motor tasks.  Could this be the reason the OT wants
her to continue with this activity?

Second, assuming she has adequate fundamental strength/experience,
perhaps looking at a developmental guide for fine motor would help
you identify appropriate ADL goals.

Last but not least, again assuming adequate fundamental
strength/experience, the real activities of daily life--putting socks
and shoes on and off, pulling pants up and down, buttoning, snapping,
and zipping, tying shoes--all can be learned and practiced at home as
they come up in real life.

Carol