[blindkid] learning piano

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 21:57:47 UTC 2009

Piano lessons without reading music

I really liked reading the discussion about music and braille, and playing
with one hand. My husband found something called "Simply Music" online, and
we ordered the DVD's. Ahbee has been learning to play piano with the
program. Her dad watches with her and demonstrates for her any parts that
are totally visual on the program.

It is great, because it is designed for the student to learn to play music
without having to read music. (At a later stage, they can still learn to
read, but it's a different skill.) The teacher originally developed it for a
blind student, but it is used for lots of people to learn to play piano,
whether they are blind or sighted. You learn the patterns of notes and
shapes of chords, like "top, bottom, bottom," or "1,3,5." Ahbee is playing
Fur Elise, Amazing Grace, and even some blues pieces.

We really like this program. I don't get anything from someone else buying
it, but I thought some folks in the group might like to know about it. One
cool thing is, I never have to ask Ahbee to practice--she came in and sat
down at the piano as soon as she got home from school today.

Joy Orton