[blindkid] Bookshare - NIMAC News!

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Jan 31 18:11:52 UTC 2009

I thought that our resolution from last summer might be worth posting here since it lays out some of this very well.  While I
would like to have seen some of our points addressed in BookShare's announcements, I am hopeful that this will be
addressed by BookShare as I have no doubt that their intention is good.  I'm just a little afraid that braille formatting of K-
12 textbooks may be underneath their radar and they may not be aware of the possible problems.

RESOLUTION 2008-03
Regarding Books Formatted for Braille from Bookshare.org

WHEREAS, Bookshare.org is a project dedicated to the legal distribution of books
and periodicals in accessible formats, including electronic Braille; and

WHEREAS, with creativity and ingenuity Bookshare.org offers unprecedented access
to general books and periodicals to blind readers through a mechanism enabling the
sharing of books scanned by thousands of individuals, which eliminates significant
duplication of effort; and

WHEREAS, in the fall of 2007 the project received a grant from the U.S. Department
of Education in the amount of $32 million over five years to expand significantly
the availability of accessible electronic books and to make them available without
charge to all students with qualifying disabilities in the United States; and

WHEREAS, according to its Website, Bookshare.org intends
to make extensive use of
textbook files provided by publishers in the recently mandated National Instructional
Materials Accessibility Standard (NIMAS), to create high-quality, student-ready materials
in digital audio, large print, or Braille
; and

WHEREAS, it is widely known that, despite the many advances in the capability of
Braille-translation software, intervention by a Braille transcriber knowledgeable
in the rules set forth by the Braille Authority of North America is still required
to ensure that the often complicated layout and the increasingly graphics-intensive
content of textbooks is rendered properly and can be readily understood and navigated
by the Braille reader; and

WHEREAS, Bookshare.orgs process for converting books and periodicals from print
to accessible formats involves some checking by volunteers and staff to ensure basic
readability and navigability, but the process of converting to Braille is handled
automatically by translation software and involves no final proofreading to ensure
that the format of the Braille versions is correct, so in reality Bookshare.org Braille
files are not student-ready; and

WHEREAS, Bookshare.org has an obligation to indicate clearly to all concerned that
the Braille textbooks made available on its Website have not been proofread and are
therefore not student-ready; and

WHEREAS, the economics of special education, combined with the unfortunately pervasive
lack of knowledge about Braille production even in the special education field, leads
some people who work with blind children simply to download the Bookshare.org files
and provide them directly to the students rather than paying for professionally transcribed
books; and

WHEREAS, such a trend will have far-reaching implications, not only undermining ongoing
efforts to ensure that children who read Braille receive high-quality instructional
materials, but also eroding the already fragile infrastructure now in place for the
production of Braille textbooks; Now, therefore,

BE IT RESOLVED by the National Federation of the Blind in Convention assembled this
fifth day of July, 2008, in the city of Dallas, Texas, that this organization urge
Bookshare.org to have its Braille versions of K-12 textbooks professionally proofread
and corrected; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that this organization strongly urge Bookshare.org to use
its unique position to support efforts at improving the quality of Braille educational
materials for K-12 students.