[blindkid] Hadley courses for parents

Carly e400clb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 11 00:21:24 UTC 2009

>...Have any of you taken a Hadley course?
>Are the courses understandable?
>Are they helpful in raising physically, mentally and emotionally strong children?
>Did you feel that you finished the course, knowing much more about blindness and your >child?
>Are the instructors blind, themselves?

Jan: I am a relatively new parent to a legally blind son who we adopted 18 months ago at age 5. I am just beginning my second course with Hadley. The first one was "Early Independence." I learned a lot! My instructor, Sue Melrose, is blind herself. That course was 7 lessons, each covering some topic of nurturing independence in young children with specific challenges related to blindness. For instance, the last lesson on social skills discussed some of the usual behaviors like rocking (which my son does) and the fact that he has not been receiving social cues visually, and what needs to be taught and some ideas for how to teach those skills. I received a textbook and a calendar with an idea a day for some type of independent teaching, all for free. I am now taking Introduction to uncontracted Braille 1. It's been great! I find I can now "read" braille visually... at about a Kindergarten level, so that puts me and my son on the same page! :) I don't have
 any complaints about the Hadley courses I've taken and have found them to be greatly helpful. I hope that helps.