[blindkid] repeating

Marie Smith empwrn at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 16 16:12:28 UTC 2009

Children of all abilities go through stages of unusual behaviors. It's more
likely to be noticed when parents and well-intentioned friends are more
cognizant that a child is somehow different. It's probably just a phase that
will pass with time.
Be sure that you are modeling the behavior you want to see. Do no speak
directly to the behavior you do not want to see (ie don't make her overly
anxious about it or give her attention for doing it). Act as if she has only
made a request once. In your speaking to her make sure that you are only
making a request once. For example, my son tends to say "Sit down, sit down,
sit down" when he just means "Sit down". We realized that he does this
because he often tries to get up out of his booster seat with food in his
hand and we were saying (Dad still often does) "Sit down, sit down, sit
down" without pausing to give him time to follow the instruction. Basically,
he's just repeating what he has heard. This has improved as we make a
conscious effort not to speak to him this way. When he says "Sit down, sit
down, sit down", we model "Sit down" and comply with his request as if he
has only said it once. We give no additional attention for the repeated
phrases without pausing but when he says things appropriately we act very
appreciative of his communication. Clear as mud? Write back if you need me
to clarify. Smile!

Marie (mother of Jack, 4 yrs old with Apert Syndrome)
http://www.allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com
Learn more about Apert Syndrome
http://www.thecraniofacialcenter.org/apert.html
Get information and support at Teeter's page
http://www.apert.org