[blindkid] Schools for the Blind vs. Education inPublicSchoolSystems

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 17 03:55:45 UTC 2009

Hello:

     I attended public school and did well academically graduating with
honors. My school was willing to see to it that I had a teacher who could
teach me braille. My parents helped make materials and my Mother brailled
many of my books. From 1968-1971, I attended the summer workshops that were
held at the Oregon School for the Blind. These provided me O&M training and
a chance to meet other blind people. Prior to my attending OSSB, I remember
meeting a blind lady who taught piano and a five year old child (This was
when I was in the seventh and eighth grades.). I remember being impressed at
seeing a library full of books that I could read for the first time.

Regards,

Robert