[blindkid] I've run out of ideas

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Thu Jun 25 15:59:01 UTC 2009

We know that one of our twins has a hard time transitioning from person to person with his care.  At school he plays all his little games if a new person must work with him at lunch.  (He does the same at home.)
However, he has a very nasty habit of peeing on his teachers and respite providers--also his OT at home--and I don't know what to do.  I've encouraged them to tell him to push it all out--he still does it.  He stopped doing it to me because I had to resort to spanking him.  It's not even that he doesn't know what the potty is for.  He knows how to use it when put there but also likes putting his hands in and taking excrement out to eat or throw at the person helping.
I've tried having him clean up but he thinks that's funny.  Others have tried scolding and ignoring and it makes no difference.  They've tried to get the diaper up quick too but he's lightning quick.
It's exceedingly gross that others must endure this.  I will try writing a social story and see if that helps him but has anyone else dealt with this problem?
Barbara

If wisdom's ways you wisely seek, five things observe with care:  of whom you speak, to whom you speak, and how and when and where.