[blindkid] Putting pressure on the school district

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 22:08:12 UTC 2009

Carrie,

Just wanted to explain this point a little further.  They haven't yet
presented me with an IEP/draft that includes (or denies) Braille in any
amount so I can't contest something that doesn't exist.  I knew the
caseworker was writing the draft, I was essentially giving her a heads up
that if it didn't have enough Braille in it, I would be contesting it
thinking if she knew that up front, she might try a little harder to get it
right.  Still stuck in the "can't we all get along???" mode I guess.  But
yes, once they actually provide me with something to contest, I will be sure
to contest in writing well within the proper timeframe.

That's actually another point of non-compliance.  Our IEP meeting was
originally scheduled for 3/3.  I (verbally) requested a copy of the draft &
teacher reports on 2/26 (because I was there in the office anyway)  She
didn't have it written yet.  I asked her to send it to me as soon as it was
done.  Never got anything.
On 3/3 the meeting was cx due to snow but logic would say all the doccuments
must have been ready because she couldn't have known it would be cx.
On 3/3 I emailed and in writing requested the draft & teacher reports.  The
caseworker was out of compliance for not having the doccuments available to
me 10 days before the originally scheduled meeting.  She's out of compliance
for not providing records within 10 days of the request even just going by
the 3/3 written request.  Our new IEP date is 3/26 so if I don't have the
doccuments on Monday, she'll be out of compiance yet again for not having
them to me 10 days before the new date, yes??

I didn't quote all the other excellent points you made because they were, in
fact, excellent :-)

Holly